Lip fillers are one of the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatments right now, with more and more people rushing to get themselves fuller, plumper lips. These days, there are many types of filler than can be injected into your lips to give you that perfect pout. However, before you rush in and book the procedure, it’s important to find out what you can expect after getting lip fillers.
When will results be visible?
One of the big benefits of lip fillers is that you can expect to see results right away. However, keep in mind that once the swelling subsides, the results will not appear quite as pronounced. In general, it takes between two to four weeks for the fill to settle into the lip tissue and achieve the desired look. You’re unlikely to see the ultimate results of your lip fillers immediately. Some fillers are more cohesive than others and will work more quickly.
We recommend drinking plenty of water to keep hydrated after treatment. This is because hyaluronic-based fillers are water-binding. Since the skin is the last organ water goes to, staying well-hydrated can improve the results of the dermal filler.
How long will results last?
Lip fillers aren’t permanent and they will fade over time. How long results last depends on various factors, including the formula used in the procedure. Lip fillers usually last between six months to a year. So, if you love the initial results of your fillers, it’s best to take plenty of photos as they won’t last forever.
What are the side effects of lip fillers?
Minor side effects like redness and mild swelling are normal, however, you should consult with a doctor if you experience more serious complications. These include intense bruising or swelling lasting more than a week, cold sores, pain, or changes in skin colour. Most people only experience slight side effects and are able to resume their activities once the procedure is finished.
What aftercare is required?
Proper aftercare is important after lip injections. Follow these tips to give your lips the care they need after the procedure:
- Apply ice to your lips afterwards, using either an ice pack or ice cube wrapped in cloth. This will help ease the swelling and itching.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for between 24-48 hours after lip fillers. This is because elevated heart rate and blood pressure could make the side effects worse. Light exercise like walking is fine.
- Keep hydrated. Drinking lots of water will help to heal your body.
- Eat lots of fruit and vegetables. Don’t consume too much salt as this might worsen swelling.
- Avoid elevated temperatures, including saunas, steam rooms, or heated exercise sessions for 48 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid putting makeup on your lips for up to 24 hours after.
- Sleep with your head elevated to reduce swelling. Try not to sleep on your face.
Lip fillers are ideal if you want to add volume to your lips, giving them a plumper, fuller appearance. As long as you choose a reputable cosmetic surgeon to deliver the treatment and follow the appropriate aftercare, you should see fantastic results in a matter of days.